- The power settings are all the options related to the power management in Windows.
- The sleep settings are all the options related to sleet management in Windows.
How to Change Power and Sleep Settings in Windows 10
Computers with Windows 10 come with a particular default setting on sleep time. The system is set to sleep after less than 30 minutes. This means that your computer will go to sleep if you leave it untouched for up to 30 minutes.
On the other hand, the computer will hibernate if you do not touch it for some hours. Be that as it may, you can decide to change the settings. This way, you can modify how your Windows 10 computer hibernates or go to sleep.
You can also modify how the Windows 10 computer consumes power. In this write-up, we will enlighten you on how to effect these changes.
Changing the sleep time on your laptop computer will prevent the excessive draining of your battery. This way, the battery can last longer and you can persist for longer at your important tasks. Proper modification of the settings will help to save power when you are not using the battery.
How to change the sleep time
In this section of the write-up, we will enlighten you about how you can change the sleep time on your Windows 10 computer. You can follow the steps below to carry out the changes.
- Press the Windows Key and the Q button at the same time.
- Next, write “Sleep” and then click on “Choose when the PC sleeps.”
After doing this, you will be presented with two options, which are highlighted below:
- Sleep: This is where you will configure when your computer will hibernate.
- Screen: This is where you will modify when the computer will go to sleep.
Afterward, you can set a particular time for the two drop-down menus. If you are currently using a laptop, you will come across 4 options. The four options are in two categories:
- One is for when you connect the laptop to the power grid.
- The other is when the laptop is working on batteries.
The process is very easy and straightforward. You can follow the steps below to change the power and sleep settings in your windows 10 computer.
- Click on the Start button.
- Then click on Settings.
- Next, go to System and then search for Power & Sleep.
- Under the Screen menu, you can determine how long the device should wait before it automatically turns the screen off anytime you are not using the device.
- Under the Sleep setting, you can equally choose how long you want the device to standby before it goes to sleep when it is not being used.
- If you need more power-saving features, you can visit Additional power settings where you can modify how the computer consumes power.
How to shut down Windows 10
This is one of the simplest operations. Just click on the Start button, navigate to Power and click on Shut Down option.
How to make your computer sleep
When the computer is in sleep mode, it will require less power to operate. The computer is technically on, but it will stop all activities. It will equally send all the opened documents to its memory.
As a result, you can easily access the documents when you switch on the computer again. The sleep mode means you can switch the computer again after just a few seconds. You will find the sleep mode useful if you want to leave your computer for a short period.
Check below for steps to follow:
- Click on Start and then navigate to Settings
- Next, click on Systems and then Power & Sleep
- Finally, click on Additional power settings
If you are using a laptop or PC, you can choose how you want the power button to function. Look for “When I press the power button”.
Then select Sleep and save changes. If you are using a laptop only, you can click on Choose what closing the lid does” you can find it next to “When I close the lid.
Then click on Sleep and save changes. This change means that the laptop will sleep when you close the lid of the laptop.
Look for the power button and press it if you are using a desktop computer, laptop or tablet. This will automatically make the device go to sleep.
You can achieve the same effect by closing the lid of your desktop computer. When you want to resume work again, simply press the power button and the computer will come on.
Other ways to bring the computer back from sleep are:
- Press any of the keys on the keyboard
- Click any of the buttons on the mouse
- Open the lid of the laptop
Hibernating a Windows 10 computer
The computer will use less power when it is on Hibernate. The power the computer uses when on Hibernate is lower than the power it uses when on Sleep mode.
The opened documents will also remain open when you switch the computer on following the Hibernate mode.
The Hibernate mode is the best choice if you will be leaving the computer for an extended period.
Follow the steps below to hibernate the computer
- Click on the Start button.
- Next click on Settings
- Navigate to Systems and click on it
- Click on Power & Sleep
- After that, select Additional power settings.
- Click on Choose what the power button does. Then choose Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Look for the Shutdown settings and click on checkbox opposite Hibernate, you can click on Save changes if Hibernate is not available.
- You can easily hibernate the computer by clicking on Start-Power-Hibernate.
How to Change the power plan
This process is equally very easy and straightforward. You can follow the steps below to change the power plan of your device.
- Click on the Windows button. Then type Sleep in the search box.
- Next, click on Power and Sleep settings. When it opens, click on Additional power settings. You can find this at the bottom of the computer screen. You will then see the power option window.
You will have two options, which are:
- Create a power plan. You can find it on the left-hand side of the computer screen.
- Power saver (This is the recommended option).
You can then go ahead to customize the plan settings the way you like.