Notepad is a very popular program in all the Windows Operating Systems versions, including Windows 10. It is a basic plain text editor and it can be used for creating simple documents. This includes source files for web pages.
In this article we will learn how to get help, find, access, open and use Notepad in Windows 10.
After creating the document, you should save it using .txt extension. There are many text editors out there today. It is about the best for creating, viewing and editing text files in .txt.
In this write-up, we will show you some of the ways via which you can easily access Notepad in Windows 10.
How to open Notepad in Windows 10
On earlier versions of Windows is not that difficult to find, but it is a little bit tasking when it comes to Windows 10.
This is why you need the information provided here so that you can find the Notepad on Windows 10 very easily.
In this section of the write-up, we will show you the most commonly used methods for finding and opening it on Windows 10.
- You can find it through the Start menu. All you have to do is to click on the Start menu, which you can find on the taskbar and then look for Notepad. Click on it and start editing files and documents.
- You can equally locate Notepad on Windows 10 by searching for it from the desktop. Navigate to the search box from the Start Menu and then type “Note” in the search box. The search result will bring up Notepad. You can click on it and start writing HTML codes.
- The next method of finding and opening it includes working from the desktop. Simply look for a blank space on your desktop and right-click on that blank space. A drop-down menu will come up.
- Look for New on the drop-down menu and click on it. Next, look for Text Document and click on it. You can then double click on the document and start HTML coding.
- Furthermore, you can access it by pressing letter R and the Windows logo together at the same time. Then type Notepad and click on Ok.
- Finally, you can find and open it by clicking on the Start menu and then choosing All Apps. After that, you should click on Windows Accessories and scroll down to Notepad. Select it and start writing HTML code.
You can equally open it via Cortana by clicking on the Start Menu and typing Notepad in the search box, after which you should press Enter.
If you will need to use the Notepad on a regular basis, you can simply pin it to the Taskbar or pin it to the Start menu.
This way, you can easily find it and use it for creating new text documents.
Formatting your text in Notepad
Text formatting in Windows 10 Notepad is like what you experience on other versions of Windows.
All you have to do is to click on Format from the top menu bar and click on Font. It can be found under Word Wrap.
Clicking on Font will enable you to modify the font size, font style and default font of the text that you have typed. You can bold, italicize and so on.
Also, you can click on Ok after you have selected your preferred formatting. You can equally enable status bar through Registry Editor.
How to use Notepad with HTML
You can use Notepad to compose an HTML document. It shows clearly that there is no need for any fancy software when you want to edit or write an HTML programming language for a web page.
Apart from Notepad, you can also achieve the same end goal by using several other word processing programs.
The app is available on all versions of Windows, including Windows 10. It is a basic tool that can be used to edit HTML and it makes this job very easy due to its simplicity.
While Notepad works very well for the simple HTML writing and editing, you may have to opt for more advanced editors if you want to handle more complex programming languages.
Studies also show that those who can write HTML programming using Notepad can also write web pages using any other editor and anywhere for that matter.
First of all, open a fresh Notepad document and write HTML in that document. You can then select File and click on Save as to save the new document that you have created.
Next, write index.htm and then click on UTF-8 in the drop-down menu that comes up, which contains Encoding. You can then use either .htm or .html as the extension for the file when you want to save it. It is not in your best interest to save the file with .txt extension.
Afterward, open that file that you have saved in your preferred web browser; it can be opened by simply double-clicking the file.
Another method to open the file is by right-clicking on it and choosing Open with from the drop-down menu that comes up and this will help you to view your work.
If you want to make any adjustment to the web page that you have just opened, simply return to the source file in the Notepad. Then, carry out the necessary adjustment. After you should save the file and the changes will reflect instantly in the web browser.
Word wraps in Notepad
Word wrap is possible in all word processors, including Notepad in Windows 10. It will make it possible for the text to jump to the next line instead of continuing across the entire line to the end, which can make editing to be somewhat difficult.
If you want to do this, all you have to do is to click on Format and then Word Wrap. This will remove the scroll bar you can find at the bottom of the Notepad window. You will also see a check next to the Word Wrap option on the Format menu.
The Format tab can be found on the menu bar at the top of the Notepad window.